History of Present Illness:
There are 8 factors that can be addressed:
1. Location – where is the problem on/in the body [LLL quadrant, throat, head]
2. Quality – a word that describes the problem [Sharp, dull, dry, wet, hot, cold, clammy, burning]
3. Severity – how is the problem rated [Mild, moderate, severe, excruciating, worsening Pain scale (4/10)]
4. Duration - how long do the symptoms last? [Constant, intermittent, seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months]
5. Timing – when did symptoms begin? [One week ago, 3 hours ago]
6. Context – what was the patient doing that caused the symptoms? [Walking, standing, sitting, chewing, after eating]
7. Modifying Factors – what has been done to alleviate or worsen the symptoms? [OTCs, medications, rest, elevation, change in diet]
8. Associated Signs and Symptoms – conditions that go with the presenting problem [Headache, nausea, diarrhea, palpitations]
Level 99202, 99212 require at least 1
Level 99203, 99213 require at least 1
Level 99204, 99214 require at least 4 (or status of at least 3 chronic health conditions)*
Level 99205, 99215 require at least 4 (or status of at least 3 chronic health conditions)*
If patient is unable to provide the history, document this and the reason they are unable to. This will allow you to consider the maximum number.
*The must be a rational for the reason of the status, such as lab work with specific information or symptom frequency.
Medicare Guideline posts
- Finding Medicare fee schedule - HOw to Guide
- LCD and procedure to diagnosis lookup - How to Gui...
- Medicare Fee Schedule, Payment and Reimbursement Benefit Guideline,
- Step by step Guide Medicare participation program
- Medicare Fee for Office Visit CPT Codes - CPT Code 99213, 99214, 99203
- Medicare revalidation FAQ
- Gastroenterology, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy Medicare CPT Code Fee
- Medicare claim address, phone numbers, payor id - revised list
Top Medicare billing tips
Procedure code and description 93000 - Electrocardiogram, routine ECG with at least 12 leads; with interpretation and report -average fee...
CPT CODE and description 90460 - Immunization administration through 18 years of age via any route of administration, with counseling by ...
Flow Cytometry is a highly complex process by which blood, body fluids, bone marrow and tissue can be examined. It provides important immun...
CPT CODE and Description 97001 - Physical therapy evaluation Average fee payment $70 - $80 97002 - Physical therapy re-evaluation Ave...
This post has Most used J code list and we are constantly updating with example . If you are looking particular J code, use search button. ...
CPT CODE and Description 90785 - Interactive complexity (List separately in addition to the code for primary procedure) 90791 - Psychi...
Here is the big list of Medical terminology abbreviation @—at A & P—anatomy and physiology ab—abortion abd—abdominal ABG—arterial ...
Place of Service: A two-digit code used on health care professional claims to indicate the setting in which a service was provided. Place...
Complete Blood Count (CBC) Testing A complete blood count consists of measuring a blood specimen for levels of hemoglobin, hematocrit, red...
procedure code and description 93922 LIMITED BILATERAL NONINVASIVE PHYSIOLOGIC STUDIES OF UPPER OR LOWER EXTREMITY ARTERIES, (EG, FOR LOW...