- Only one physician may bill for critical care services during any one single period of time even if more than one physician is providing care to a critically ill/injured patient.
- Physicians assigned to a critical care unit (hospitalist/intensivist) may not report critical care based on a “ per shift ” basis.
- Services cannot be reported as a split/shared service when performed by a physician and a qualified NPP of the same group practice.
- Physicians in the same group practice, with the same specialty, may not report 99291 for the same patient on the same calendar date.
- Concurrent care by more than one physician representative by different specialties is payable if the services meet critical care requirements, (i.e., must be medically necessary and non-duplicative.)
- Hospital emergency department services are not payable for the same date as critical care services when provided by the same physician or physicians of the same specialty.
- Critical care services will not be paid on the same calendar date that a physician reports an unbundled procedure with a global surgical period, unless the critical care is billed with modifier -25 to indicate a significant, separately identifiable E/M service was performed.
Medicare Guideline posts
- Finding Medicare fee schedule - HOw to Guide
- LCD and procedure to diagnosis lookup - How to Gui...
- Medicare Fee Schedule, Payment and Reimbursement Benefit Guideline,
- Step by step Guide Medicare participation program
- Medicare Fee for Office Visit CPT Codes - CPT Code 99213, 99214, 99203
- Medicare revalidation FAQ
- Gastroenterology, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy Medicare CPT Code Fee
- Medicare claim address, phone numbers, payor id - revised list
Coding Requirements fro Critical Care billing
Other Coding Requirements fro Critical Care
Labels: Critical care services
Top Medicare billing tips
Procedure code and description 93000 - Electrocardiogram, routine ECG with at least 12 leads; with interpretation and report -average fee...
Billing J code examples cpt code and description J0702 - Injection, betamethasone acetate 3mg and betamethasone sodium phosphate 3mg ...
PR 1 Deductible Amount PR 2 Coinsurance Amount PR 3 Co-payment Amount OA 4 The procedure code is inconsistent with the modifier used ...
Coverage Indications, Limitations, and/or Medical Necessity This LCD describes conditions under which the coverage of nail avulsion/ex...
Procedure code and description 93224 - External electrocardiographic recording up to 48 hours by continuous rhythm recording and storage;...
Procedure code and description 95004 Percut Tests w/ Extrac Immed React # Allergy testing - Percut allergy skin tests - Percutaneous ...
Drugs & Biologicals: Maximum Allowed Units (MAUs) - Palmetto GBA Medicare cpt code and description J1040 - Injection, methylpredniso...
All Service Codes for Immunization/Vaccine 86615 (CPT) - Antibody; Bordetella 86619 (CPT) - Antibody; Borrelia (relapsing fever) 8...
Procedure code and description 93015 (cardiovascular stress test using maximal or submaximal treadmill or bicycle exercise, continuous ele...
Procedure Code Description 70370 Radiologic examination; pharynx or larynx, including fluoroscopy and/or magnification technique 70...