To avoid appeal
Document a repeat or duplicate service to reflect it is as a distinct and separate service. Failure to document a repeat or duplicate service will result in a denial.
* Report modifier 76 to indicate a procedure or service was repeated subsequent to the original procedure or service.
* Report body site modifiers to indicate more than one of the same service is performed but on different body parts sites, e.g. LT, RT, TA – T9
* Report modifier 59 modifier to indicate a distinct procedural service. This may represent a different session or patient encounter, different procedure or surgery, different site, or organ system, separate incision/excision, or separate injury (or area of injury in extensive injuries).
* Report clarifying information pertaining to repeat or duplicate services using block 19 of the CMS-1500 (08-05) claim form or in the Extra Narrative Data segment (Loop 2300/2400) of the ANSI ASC X12 837 Versions of an electronic claim. Utilize this field to report the time of each subsequent or repeat service or the number of times this service needed to be performed.
Submit supporting documentation with the claim when certain modifiers e.g. 52 or 22 are appended to the service or when a LCD or NCD indicates documentation is required. Failure to submit the documentation will result in a denial.
* Modifier 22 represents increased procedural services and when the work required to provide a service is substantially is greater than typically required. Documentation must support the substantial additional work and the reason for the additional work (e.g. increased intensity, time, technical difficulty of procedure, severity of patient’s condition, physical and mental effort required)..
* Modifier 52 represents reduced services and when under certain circumstances a service or procedure is partially reduced or eliminated at the physician’s discretion. The explanation can be submitted by entering the information block 19 of the CMS-1500 (08-05) claim form or in the Extra Narrative Data segment (Loop 2300/2400) of the ANSI ASC X12 837 Versions of an electronic claim or submitting the supporting documentation.
* Documentation can be submitted when a CMS-1500 claim is filed or if the claim is submitted electronically a “Cover Sheet for Submitting Medical Documentation for Electronic Claims” form, must be completed.
Medicare Guideline posts
- Finding Medicare fee schedule - HOw to Guide
- LCD and procedure to diagnosis lookup - How to Gui...
- Medicare Fee Schedule, Payment and Reimbursement Benefit Guideline,
- Step by step Guide Medicare participation program
- Medicare Fee for Office Visit CPT Codes - CPT Code 99213, 99214, 99203
- Medicare revalidation FAQ
- Gastroenterology, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy Medicare CPT Code Fee
- Medicare claim address, phone numbers, payor id - revised list
Top Medicare billing tips
Procedure code and description 93000 - Electrocardiogram, routine ECG with at least 12 leads; with interpretation and report -average fee...
CPT CODE and description 90460 - Immunization administration through 18 years of age via any route of administration, with counseling by ...
CPT CODE and Description 97001 - Physical therapy evaluation Average fee payment $70 - $80 97002 - Physical therapy re-evaluation Ave...
CPT CODE and Description 90785 - Interactive complexity (List separately in addition to the code for primary procedure) 90791 - Psychi...
This post has Most used J code list and we are constantly updating with example . If you are looking particular J code, use search button. ...
Flow Cytometry is a highly complex process by which blood, body fluids, bone marrow and tissue can be examined. It provides important immun...
Here is the big list of Medical terminology abbreviation @—at A & P—anatomy and physiology ab—abortion abd—abdominal ABG—arterial ...
Place of Service: A two-digit code used on health care professional claims to indicate the setting in which a service was provided. Place...
Complete Blood Count (CBC) Testing A complete blood count consists of measuring a blood specimen for levels of hemoglobin, hematocrit, red...
procedure code and description 93922 LIMITED BILATERAL NONINVASIVE PHYSIOLOGIC STUDIES OF UPPER OR LOWER EXTREMITY ARTERIES, (EG, FOR LOW...