Way to avoid Appeal
Become familiar with Local Coverage Determinations (LCD).
* An LCD is a decision by a Medicare contractor whether to cover a particular item or service. LCDs contain “reasonable and necessary” information and are administrative and educational tools to assist you in submitting correct claims for payment.
* LCDs are located in the Medical Policy Center on the Highmark Medicare Services website.
Become familiar with National Coverage Determinations (NCD).
* The National Coverage Determinations Manual describes whether specific medical items, services, treatment procedures, or technologies can be paid for under Medicare. All decisions that items, services, etc. are not covered are based on §1862(a)(1) of the Act (the “not reasonable and necessary” exclusion) unless otherwise specifically noted.
* NCDs are located on the CMS website.
Append modifiers to services when appropriate. Failure to append a modifier when appropriate will result in a denial.
* Modifiers provide the means to indicate a service or procedure that has been performed has been altered by some specific circumstance but not changed in its definition or code.
* Appropriate modifier scenarios include:
o a service or procedure has both a professional (26) and technical (TC) component
o a service or procedure was performed by more than one physician (77)
o a service or procedure has been increased (22) or reduced (52)
o only part of a service was performed (54 or 55)
o an adjunctive service was performed (59)
o a bilateral procedure was performed (50)
o a service or procedure was provided more than once unusual events occurred (76)
Medicare Guideline posts
- Finding Medicare fee schedule - HOw to Guide
- LCD and procedure to diagnosis lookup - How to Gui...
- Medicare Fee Schedule, Payment and Reimbursement Benefit Guideline,
- Step by step Guide Medicare participation program
- Medicare Fee for Office Visit CPT Codes - CPT Code 99213, 99214, 99203
- Medicare revalidation FAQ
- Gastroenterology, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy Medicare CPT Code Fee
- Medicare claim address, phone numbers, payor id - revised list
Top Medicare billing tips
URIBEL- methenamine, sodium phosphate, monobasic, monohydrate, phenyls alicylate, methylene blue, and hyoscyamine sulfate capsule Uribel i...
procedure code and description 71250 - Ct thorax w/o dye - average fee payment - $180 - $190 71275 CTA chest (noncoronary) 71260 CT ...
Procedure code and description 93000 - Electrocardiogram, routine ECG with at least 12 leads; with interpretation and report -average fee...
This post has Most used J code list and we are constantly updating with example . If you are looking particular J code, use search button. ...
Procedure Codes and Definitions 36415 Collection of venous blood by venipuncture - Fee schedule amount $3.10 36416 Collection of capi...
Procedure code and description 93015 (cardiovascular stress test using maximal or submaximal treadmill or bicycle exercise, continuous ele...
Procedure code and description 95004 Percut Tests w/ Extrac Immed React # Allergy testing - Percut allergy skin tests - Percutaneous ...
CPT CODES and Description 81000 Urinalysis, by dip stick or tablet reagent for bilirubin, glucose, hemoglobin, ketones, leukocytes, nitr...
Coverage Indications, Limitations, and/or Medical Necessity This LCD describes conditions under which the coverage of nail avulsion/ex...
Flow Cytometry is a highly complex process by which blood, body fluids, bone marrow and tissue can be examined. It provides important immun...