Ways to AVOID an Appeal
1. Verify all data pertaining to the service is correct. Correct data allows the service to process as is intended, eliminating the need to make corrections after the claim has processed.
2. Become familiar with Local Coverage Determinations (LCD).
3. Become familiar with National Coverage Determinations (NCD).
4. Append modifiers to services when appropriate. Failure to append a modifier when appropriate will result in a denial.
5. Document a repeat or duplicate service to reflect it is as a distinct and separate service. Failure to document a repeat or duplicate service will result in a denial.
6. Submit supporting documentation with the claim when certain modifiers e.g. 52 or 22 are appended to the service or when a LCD or NCD indicates documentation is required. Failure to submit the documentation will result in a denial.
7. Comply with requests for supporting documentation. Failure to comply with the request will result in a denial.
8. The supporting documentation must include the rendering physician’s signature. Failure to provide a valid signature will result in a denial.
9. Enter the concise description of an unlisted procedure code (an NOC code) or a “not otherwise classified” code. Failure to describe the NOC or other scenarios listed below will result in a denial.
10. When Medicare is the secondary payer (MSP) the claim must include information from the primary insurer. Failure to include this information will result in a denial.
Medicare Guideline posts
- Finding Medicare fee schedule - HOw to Guide
- LCD and procedure to diagnosis lookup - How to Gui...
- Medicare Fee Schedule, Payment and Reimbursement Benefit Guideline,
- Step by step Guide Medicare participation program
- Medicare Fee for Office Visit CPT Codes - CPT Code 99213, 99214, 99203
- Medicare revalidation FAQ
- Gastroenterology, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy Medicare CPT Code Fee
- Medicare claim address, phone numbers, payor id - revised list
Top Medicare billing tips
URIBEL- methenamine, sodium phosphate, monobasic, monohydrate, phenyls alicylate, methylene blue, and hyoscyamine sulfate capsule Uribel i...
procedure code and description 71250 - Ct thorax w/o dye - average fee payment - $180 - $190 71275 CTA chest (noncoronary) 71260 CT ...
Procedure code and description 93000 - Electrocardiogram, routine ECG with at least 12 leads; with interpretation and report -average fee...
This post has Most used J code list and we are constantly updating with example . If you are looking particular J code, use search button. ...
Procedure Codes and Definitions 36415 Collection of venous blood by venipuncture - Fee schedule amount $3.10 36416 Collection of capi...
Procedure code and description 93015 (cardiovascular stress test using maximal or submaximal treadmill or bicycle exercise, continuous ele...
Procedure code and description 95004 Percut Tests w/ Extrac Immed React # Allergy testing - Percut allergy skin tests - Percutaneous ...
Coverage Indications, Limitations, and/or Medical Necessity This LCD describes conditions under which the coverage of nail avulsion/ex...
CPT CODES and Description 81000 Urinalysis, by dip stick or tablet reagent for bilirubin, glucose, hemoglobin, ketones, leukocytes, nitr...
Flow Cytometry is a highly complex process by which blood, body fluids, bone marrow and tissue can be examined. It provides important immun...