Ways to AVOID an Appeal
1. Verify all data pertaining to the service is correct. Correct data allows the service to process as is intended, eliminating the need to make corrections after the claim has processed.
2. Become familiar with Local Coverage Determinations (LCD).
3. Become familiar with National Coverage Determinations (NCD).
4. Append modifiers to services when appropriate. Failure to append a modifier when appropriate will result in a denial.
5. Document a repeat or duplicate service to reflect it is as a distinct and separate service. Failure to document a repeat or duplicate service will result in a denial.
6. Submit supporting documentation with the claim when certain modifiers e.g. 52 or 22 are appended to the service or when a LCD or NCD indicates documentation is required. Failure to submit the documentation will result in a denial.
7. Comply with requests for supporting documentation. Failure to comply with the request will result in a denial.
8. The supporting documentation must include the rendering physician’s signature. Failure to provide a valid signature will result in a denial.
9. Enter the concise description of an unlisted procedure code (an NOC code) or a “not otherwise classified” code. Failure to describe the NOC or other scenarios listed below will result in a denial.
10. When Medicare is the secondary payer (MSP) the claim must include information from the primary insurer. Failure to include this information will result in a denial.
Medicare Guideline posts
- Finding Medicare fee schedule - HOw to Guide
- LCD and procedure to diagnosis lookup - How to Gui...
- Medicare Fee Schedule, Payment and Reimbursement Benefit Guideline,
- Step by step Guide Medicare participation program
- Medicare Fee for Office Visit CPT Codes - CPT Code 99213, 99214, 99203
- Medicare revalidation FAQ
- Gastroenterology, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy Medicare CPT Code Fee
- Medicare claim address, phone numbers, payor id - revised list
Top Medicare billing tips
Procedure code and description 93000 - Electrocardiogram, routine ECG with at least 12 leads; with interpretation and report -average fee...
CPT CODE and description 90460 - Immunization administration through 18 years of age via any route of administration, with counseling by ...
CPT CODE and Description 97001 - Physical therapy evaluation Average fee payment $70 - $80 97002 - Physical therapy re-evaluation Ave...
CPT CODE and Description 90785 - Interactive complexity (List separately in addition to the code for primary procedure) 90791 - Psychi...
This post has Most used J code list and we are constantly updating with example . If you are looking particular J code, use search button. ...
Flow Cytometry is a highly complex process by which blood, body fluids, bone marrow and tissue can be examined. It provides important immun...
Here is the big list of Medical terminology abbreviation @—at A & P—anatomy and physiology ab—abortion abd—abdominal ABG—arterial ...
Place of Service: A two-digit code used on health care professional claims to indicate the setting in which a service was provided. Place...
Complete Blood Count (CBC) Testing A complete blood count consists of measuring a blood specimen for levels of hemoglobin, hematocrit, red...
procedure code and description 93922 LIMITED BILATERAL NONINVASIVE PHYSIOLOGIC STUDIES OF UPPER OR LOWER EXTREMITY ARTERIES, (EG, FOR LOW...