Administrative Simplification Compliance Act Self Assessment
The Administrative Simplification Compliance Act (ASCA) prohibits payment of initial health care claims not sent electronically as of October 16, 2003, except in limited situations:
• Small Provider Claims-- The word "provider" is being used generically here to refer to physicians, suppliers, and other providers of health care services. Providers that have fewer than 25 full-time equivalent employees (FTEs) and that are required to bill a Medicare intermediary are considered to be small. Physicians and suppliers with fewer than 10 FTEs and that are required to bill a Medicare carrier or durable medical equipment regional carrier (DMERC) are classified as small. See section 90.1 of Chapter 24 of the Medicare Claims Processing Manual (Pub. 100-04) for more detailed information on calculation of FTE employees and this ASCA requirement in general.
• Roster billing of inoculations covered by Medicare, except for those companies that agreed to submit these claims electronically as a condition for submission of flu shots administered in multiple states to a single carrier;
• Claims for payment under a Medicare demonstration project that specifies claims be submitted on paper;
• Medicare Secondary Payer Claims when there is more than one primary payer and one or more of those payers made an "Obligated to accept as payment in Full" (OTAF) adjustment;
• Claims submitted by Medicare beneficiaries or Medicare Managed Care Plans;
• Dental Claims;
• Claims for services or supplies furnished outside of the U.S. by non-U.S. providers;
• Disruption in electricity or communication connections outside of a provider's control expected to last more than two business days.
• Claims from providers that submit fewer than 10 claims per month on average during a calendar year
Providers are to self-assess to determine if they meet one or more of these situations and should not submit a waiver request when they meet one or more of these situations. Please note that some of these situations are temporary or apply only to certain claims, when the temporary situation expires or when billing other types of claims, providers must submit their claims or those other types of claims electronically, and in the HIPAA standard.
Medicare Guideline posts
- Finding Medicare fee schedule - HOw to Guide
- LCD and procedure to diagnosis lookup - How to Gui...
- Medicare Fee Schedule, Payment and Reimbursement Benefit Guideline,
- Step by step Guide Medicare participation program
- Medicare Fee for Office Visit CPT Codes - CPT Code 99213, 99214, 99203
- Medicare revalidation FAQ
- Gastroenterology, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy Medicare CPT Code Fee
- Medicare claim address, phone numbers, payor id - revised list
Top Medicare billing tips
Procedure code and description 93000 - Electrocardiogram, routine ECG with at least 12 leads; with interpretation and report -average fee...
CPT CODE and description 90460 - Immunization administration through 18 years of age via any route of administration, with counseling by ...
CPT CODE and Description 97001 - Physical therapy evaluation Average fee payment $70 - $80 97002 - Physical therapy re-evaluation Ave...
Flow Cytometry is a highly complex process by which blood, body fluids, bone marrow and tissue can be examined. It provides important immun...
CPT CODE and Description 90785 - Interactive complexity (List separately in addition to the code for primary procedure) 90791 - Psychi...
This post has Most used J code list and we are constantly updating with example . If you are looking particular J code, use search button. ...
Here is the big list of Medical terminology abbreviation @—at A & P—anatomy and physiology ab—abortion abd—abdominal ABG—arterial ...
Place of Service: A two-digit code used on health care professional claims to indicate the setting in which a service was provided. Place...
Complete Blood Count (CBC) Testing A complete blood count consists of measuring a blood specimen for levels of hemoglobin, hematocrit, red...
procedure code and description 93922 LIMITED BILATERAL NONINVASIVE PHYSIOLOGIC STUDIES OF UPPER OR LOWER EXTREMITY ARTERIES, (EG, FOR LOW...