The diabetes screening tests include a fasting blood glucose test, post-glucose challenge tests, and either an oral glucose tolerance test with a glucose challenge of 75 grams of glucose for non-pregnant adults or a 2-hour post-glucose challenge test alone. This screening is covered twice within a 12-month period.
Individuals are eligible for the benefit if they have the following risk factors:
• Obesity (body mass index 30 kg/m2 or more).
• Previous identification of an elevated impaired fasting glucose or glucose tolerance.
• At least two of the following:
o Overweight (body mass index greater than 25 kg/m2, but less than 30).
o A family history of diabetes.
o A history of gestational diabetes mellitus or delivery of a baby weighing greater than 9 pounds.
o 65 years of age or older.
Patients previously diagnosed as diabetic are not covered. Individuals diagnosed as pre-diabetic are eligible for this benefit. Pre-diabetes is defined as a fasting glucose level of 100-125 mg/dL, or a 2 hour post-glucose challenge of 140-199 mg/dL. Individuals not meeting the pre-diabetes criteria are eligible for one screening test per year.
Medicare covers these tests when reported with diagnosis code V77.1 (screening for diabetes mellitus) and one of the following CPT codes:
• 82947 - Glucose; quantitative, blood (except reagent strip)
• 82950 - Glucose; post glucose dose (includes glucose)
• 82951 - Glucose; tolerance test (GTT), three specimens (includes glucose)
Medicare Guideline posts
- Finding Medicare fee schedule - HOw to Guide
- LCD and procedure to diagnosis lookup - How to Gui...
- Medicare Fee Schedule, Payment and Reimbursement Benefit Guideline,
- Step by step Guide Medicare participation program
- Medicare Fee for Office Visit CPT Codes - CPT Code 99213, 99214, 99203
- Medicare revalidation FAQ
- Gastroenterology, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy Medicare CPT Code Fee
- Medicare claim address, phone numbers, payor id - revised list
Top Medicare billing tips
Procedure code and description 93000 - Electrocardiogram, routine ECG with at least 12 leads; with interpretation and report -average fee...
CPT CODE and description 90460 - Immunization administration through 18 years of age via any route of administration, with counseling by ...
CPT CODE and Description 97001 - Physical therapy evaluation Average fee payment $70 - $80 97002 - Physical therapy re-evaluation Ave...
Flow Cytometry is a highly complex process by which blood, body fluids, bone marrow and tissue can be examined. It provides important immun...
CPT CODE and Description 90785 - Interactive complexity (List separately in addition to the code for primary procedure) 90791 - Psychi...
This post has Most used J code list and we are constantly updating with example . If you are looking particular J code, use search button. ...
Here is the big list of Medical terminology abbreviation @—at A & P—anatomy and physiology ab—abortion abd—abdominal ABG—arterial ...
Place of Service: A two-digit code used on health care professional claims to indicate the setting in which a service was provided. Place...
Complete Blood Count (CBC) Testing A complete blood count consists of measuring a blood specimen for levels of hemoglobin, hematocrit, red...
procedure code and description 93922 LIMITED BILATERAL NONINVASIVE PHYSIOLOGIC STUDIES OF UPPER OR LOWER EXTREMITY ARTERIES, (EG, FOR LOW...