The diabetes screening tests include a fasting blood glucose test, post-glucose challenge tests, and either an oral glucose tolerance test with a glucose challenge of 75 grams of glucose for non-pregnant adults or a 2-hour post-glucose challenge test alone. This screening is covered twice within a 12-month period.
Individuals are eligible for the benefit if they have the following risk factors:
• Obesity (body mass index 30 kg/m2 or more).
• Previous identification of an elevated impaired fasting glucose or glucose tolerance.
• At least two of the following:
o Overweight (body mass index greater than 25 kg/m2, but less than 30).
o A family history of diabetes.
o A history of gestational diabetes mellitus or delivery of a baby weighing greater than 9 pounds.
o 65 years of age or older.
Patients previously diagnosed as diabetic are not covered. Individuals diagnosed as pre-diabetic are eligible for this benefit. Pre-diabetes is defined as a fasting glucose level of 100-125 mg/dL, or a 2 hour post-glucose challenge of 140-199 mg/dL. Individuals not meeting the pre-diabetes criteria are eligible for one screening test per year.
Medicare covers these tests when reported with diagnosis code V77.1 (screening for diabetes mellitus) and one of the following CPT codes:
• 82947 - Glucose; quantitative, blood (except reagent strip)
• 82950 - Glucose; post glucose dose (includes glucose)
• 82951 - Glucose; tolerance test (GTT), three specimens (includes glucose)
Medicare Guideline posts
- Finding Medicare fee schedule - HOw to Guide
- LCD and procedure to diagnosis lookup - How to Gui...
- Medicare Fee Schedule, Payment and Reimbursement Benefit Guideline,
- Step by step Guide Medicare participation program
- Medicare Fee for Office Visit CPT Codes - CPT Code 99213, 99214, 99203
- Medicare revalidation FAQ
- Gastroenterology, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy Medicare CPT Code Fee
- Medicare claim address, phone numbers, payor id - revised list
Top Medicare billing tips
URIBEL- methenamine, sodium phosphate, monobasic, monohydrate, phenyls alicylate, methylene blue, and hyoscyamine sulfate capsule Uribel i...
procedure code and description 71250 - Ct thorax w/o dye - average fee payment - $180 - $190 71275 CTA chest (noncoronary) 71260 CT ...
Procedure code and description 93000 - Electrocardiogram, routine ECG with at least 12 leads; with interpretation and report -average fee...
Billing J code examples cpt code and description J0702 - Injection, betamethasone acetate 3mg and betamethasone sodium phosphate 3mg ...
Procedure Codes and Definitions 36415 Collection of venous blood by venipuncture - Fee schedule amount $3.10 36416 Collection of capi...
Procedure code and description 93015 (cardiovascular stress test using maximal or submaximal treadmill or bicycle exercise, continuous ele...
Coverage Indications, Limitations, and/or Medical Necessity This LCD describes conditions under which the coverage of nail avulsion/ex...
Procedure code and description 95004 Percut Tests w/ Extrac Immed React # Allergy testing - Percut allergy skin tests - Percutaneous ...
PR 1 Deductible Amount PR 2 Coinsurance Amount PR 3 Co-payment Amount OA 4 The procedure code is inconsistent with the modifier used ...
CPT CODES and Description 81000 Urinalysis, by dip stick or tablet reagent for bilirubin, glucose, hemoglobin, ketones, leukocytes, nitr...