Ultrasonic Guidance for Knee Injections
Audits were recently performed by Highmark Medicare Services’ Medical Review Department for procedure code 76942, ultrasonic guidance for needle placement (e.g., biopsy, aspiration, injection, localization device), imaging supervision and interpretation.
In reviewing the medical records provided to support these services, it was determined that providers were using ultrasound guidance for knee joint injections. The documentation did not provide any information which would support the medical necessity for using ultrasound guidance for knee injections.
Medical necessity is defined as the need for an item(s) or service(s), to be reasonable and necessary for the diagnosis or treatment of disease, injury or defect. The need for the item or service must be clearly documented in the patient’s medical record. Medically necessary services or items are:
• Appropriate for the symptoms and diagnosis or treatment of the patient’s condition, illness, disease or injury; and
• Provided for the diagnosis or the direct care of the patient’s condition, illness, disease or injury; and
• In accordance with current standards of good medical practice; and
• Not primarily for the convenience of the patient or provider; and
• The most appropriate supply or level of service that can be safely provided to the patient.
The use of ultrasound guidance for knee joint injections may be considered medically reasonable and necessary by Highmark Medicare Services if the documentation supports one of the following:
• The failure of the initial attempt at the knee joint injection where the provider is unable to aspirate any fluid.
• The size of the patient’s knee(s), due to morbid obesity or disease process, inhibits the provider’s ability to inject the knee(s) without ultrasound guidance.
• The provider is planning to drain a popliteal (Baker’s) cyst.
Although there is data to support that ultrasound guidance improves the accuracy of knee joint injections and reduces procedural pain in some cases, the data does not support improved clinical outcomes to support the coverage of ultrasound guidance for all knee joint injections. In addition, package inserts for drugs used for knee joint injections do not indicate the necessity of the use of ultrasound guidance for safe and effective usage.
Therefore, unless there is documentation provided to support the medical necessity for the ultrasound guidance for knee joint injections, the ultrasound guidance may be denied as coverage and reimbursement of healthcare services provided to Medicare beneficiaries requires that services be medically necessary in order to be eligible for reimbursement.
Medicare Guideline posts
- Finding Medicare fee schedule - HOw to Guide
- LCD and procedure to diagnosis lookup - How to Gui...
- Medicare Fee Schedule, Payment and Reimbursement Benefit Guideline,
- Step by step Guide Medicare participation program
- Medicare Fee for Office Visit CPT Codes - CPT Code 99213, 99214, 99203
- Medicare revalidation FAQ
- Gastroenterology, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy Medicare CPT Code Fee
- Medicare claim address, phone numbers, payor id - revised list
Top Medicare billing tips
Procedure code and description 93000 - Electrocardiogram, routine ECG with at least 12 leads; with interpretation and report -average fee...
CPT CODE and description 90460 - Immunization administration through 18 years of age via any route of administration, with counseling by ...
Flow Cytometry is a highly complex process by which blood, body fluids, bone marrow and tissue can be examined. It provides important immun...
CPT CODE and Description 97001 - Physical therapy evaluation Average fee payment $70 - $80 97002 - Physical therapy re-evaluation Ave...
This post has Most used J code list and we are constantly updating with example . If you are looking particular J code, use search button. ...
CPT CODE and Description 90785 - Interactive complexity (List separately in addition to the code for primary procedure) 90791 - Psychi...
Here is the big list of Medical terminology abbreviation @—at A & P—anatomy and physiology ab—abortion abd—abdominal ABG—arterial ...
Place of Service: A two-digit code used on health care professional claims to indicate the setting in which a service was provided. Place...
Complete Blood Count (CBC) Testing A complete blood count consists of measuring a blood specimen for levels of hemoglobin, hematocrit, red...
Procedure Codes and Definitions 36415 Collection of venous blood by venipuncture - Fee schedule amount $3.10 36416 Collection of capi...