New Neoplasm Diagnosis Codes
The American Medical Association (AMA) added two new diagnosis codes to document neurofibromatosis (NF), a genetic disorder that causes tumors to grow primarily on nerve tissues, as well as, on bone and skin. There are now three specific types of neurofibromatosis:
1. von Recklinghausen’s Disease (237.71) – The most common type of NF
2. Acoustic (237.72) - Patients lose hearing
3. *New Schwannomatosis (237.73) - Patients have multiple Schwannoma-type tumors on the cranial, spinal and peripheral nerves, but do not lose hearing
Note: If the patient is diagnosed with NF, but it is not specific to these three types, use 237.79, Other Neurofibromatosis.
Body Mass Index
The diagnosis codes for reporting Body Mass Index (BMI) have been expanded, and code V85.4, body mass index 40.0 and over, was deleted.
Providers now have the ability to document a BMI that is greater than 40.0. The new
BMI codes include the following:
• V85.41 – Body Mass Index 40.0-44.9, adult
• V85.42 – Body Mass Index 45.0-49.9, adult
• V85.43 – Body Mass Index 50.0-59.9, adult
• V85.44 – Body Mass Index 60.0-69.9, adult
• V85.45 – Body Mass Index 70 and over, adult
Four new diagnosis codes were created to describe aortic ectasia (the swelling and weakening
of the wall of the aorta). Providers must select the appropriate diagnosis code based on where the swelling or weakening of the aortic wall has occurred: unspecified (447.70), thoracic (447.71), abdominal (447.72), or thoracoabdominal (447.73).
Previously, the only diagnosis providers had to document these conditions was code 441.9, aortic aneurysm, unspecified. Unfortunately, these conditions are not really aneurysms, but conditions that may lead to an aneurysm over time. As of October 1, code 441.9 should only be used for documented aneurysms, not potential aneurysms.
A new diagnosis code, 560.32, Fecal Impaction, was created to document patients that require manual or surgical intervention due to fecal impaction. Previously, this condition would have been reported as 560.39, other impaction of intestine.
Code 787.6, incontinent feces, was deleted for this year, and replaced with the following four diagnosis codes:
• 787.60 – Full incontinence of feces
• 787.61 – Incomplete defecation
• 787.62 – Fecal smearing
• 787.63 – Fecal urgency
Medicare Guideline posts
- Finding Medicare fee schedule - HOw to Guide
- LCD and procedure to diagnosis lookup - How to Gui...
- Medicare Fee Schedule, Payment and Reimbursement Benefit Guideline,
- Step by step Guide Medicare participation program
- Medicare Fee for Office Visit CPT Codes - CPT Code 99213, 99214, 99203
- Medicare revalidation FAQ
- Gastroenterology, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy Medicare CPT Code Fee
- Medicare claim address, phone numbers, payor id - revised list
Top Medicare billing tips
Procedure code and description 93000 - Electrocardiogram, routine ECG with at least 12 leads; with interpretation and report -average fee...
CPT CODE and description 90460 - Immunization administration through 18 years of age via any route of administration, with counseling by ...
CPT CODE and Description 97001 - Physical therapy evaluation Average fee payment $70 - $80 97002 - Physical therapy re-evaluation Ave...
CPT CODE and Description 90785 - Interactive complexity (List separately in addition to the code for primary procedure) 90791 - Psychi...
This post has Most used J code list and we are constantly updating with example . If you are looking particular J code, use search button. ...
Flow Cytometry is a highly complex process by which blood, body fluids, bone marrow and tissue can be examined. It provides important immun...
Here is the big list of Medical terminology abbreviation @—at A & P—anatomy and physiology ab—abortion abd—abdominal ABG—arterial ...
Place of Service: A two-digit code used on health care professional claims to indicate the setting in which a service was provided. Place...
Complete Blood Count (CBC) Testing A complete blood count consists of measuring a blood specimen for levels of hemoglobin, hematocrit, red...
procedure code and description 93922 LIMITED BILATERAL NONINVASIVE PHYSIOLOGIC STUDIES OF UPPER OR LOWER EXTREMITY ARTERIES, (EG, FOR LOW...