Clinical Laboratory Procedures: Duplicate Denials - CO18
Denial Reason, Reason/Remark Code(s)
• CO-18 - Duplicate Service(s): Same service submitted for the same patient
• CPT codes: 36415, 80048, 80053, 80061, 83036, 84443, 85610
First: Verify the status of your claim before resubmitting. Use the Palmetto GBA Online Provider Services (OPS) tool or call the Palmetto GBA Interactive Voice Response unit (IVR).
• All providers that have an EDI Enrollment Agreement on file may register to use this tool. If you haven’t already registered, please consider doing so.
• Access the introductory article to learn more: click on the 'Introducing Online Provider Services' graphic on the top of any of our main state Web pages
• One important consideration: only one Provider Administrator per EDI Enrollment Agreement/per PTAN/NPI combination performs the registration process. The Provider Administrator can then grant permission to additional users related to that PTAN/NPI.
• Billing services and clearinghouses should contact their provider clients to gain access to the system
• Specific instructions for accessing claim status information through OPS are available in the OPS User Manual
o Jurisdiction 1: (866) 931-3903
o Ohio and West Virginia: (877) 567-9232
o South Carolina: (866) 238-9654
CPT modifier 91 may be submitted to identify an identical laboratory test for the same patient on the same date.
• This modifier may not be submitted when tests are rerun to confirm initial results due to testing problems with specimens or equipment, or for any other reason when a normal, one-time, reportable result is all that is required
• This modifier may not be used when other codes describe a series of test results (e.g., glucose tolerance tests)
• For clinical laboratory tests ordered by an ESRD facility: these tests must be submitted with CPT modifier 91 if any single service (same CPT code) is ordered for the same patient, and the specimen is collected more than once in a single day, and the service is medically necessary
o CPT modifier 91 must be submitted with services that meet these criteria, regardless of whether the test is also submitted with HCPCS modifiers CD, CE or EF
o Any line item on a claim that meets these criteria and is submitted with CPT modifier 91 will be included into the calculation of the 50/50 rule
o After calculation of the 50/50 rule, services used to determine the payment amount may not exceed 22.
Medicare Guideline posts
- Finding Medicare fee schedule - HOw to Guide
- LCD and procedure to diagnosis lookup - How to Gui...
- Medicare Fee Schedule, Payment and Reimbursement Benefit Guideline,
- Step by step Guide Medicare participation program
- Medicare Fee for Office Visit CPT Codes - CPT Code 99213, 99214, 99203
- Medicare revalidation FAQ
- Gastroenterology, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy Medicare CPT Code Fee
- Medicare claim address, phone numbers, payor id - revised list
Top Medicare billing tips
Procedure code and description 93000 - Electrocardiogram, routine ECG with at least 12 leads; with interpretation and report -average fee...
This post has Most used J code list and we are constantly updating with example . If you are looking particular J code, use search button. ...
CPT CODES and Description 81000 Urinalysis, by dip stick or tablet reagent for bilirubin, glucose, hemoglobin, ketones, leukocytes, nitr...
Flow Cytometry is a highly complex process by which blood, body fluids, bone marrow and tissue can be examined. It provides important immun...
Procedure code and description 93015 (cardiovascular stress test using maximal or submaximal treadmill or bicycle exercise, continuous ele...
Procedure Codes and Definitions 36415 Collection of venous blood by venipuncture - Fee schedule amount $3.10 36416 Collection of capi...
Coverage Indications, Limitations, and/or Medical Necessity This LCD describes conditions under which the coverage of nail avulsion/ex...
procedure code and description 93922 LIMITED BILATERAL NONINVASIVE PHYSIOLOGIC STUDIES OF UPPER OR LOWER EXTREMITY ARTERIES, (EG, FOR LOW...
Molecular diagnostic testing, which includes DNA- or RNA-based analysis, with or without amplification/quantification, provides sensitive, ...
Procedure code and description 95004 Percut Tests w/ Extrac Immed React # Allergy testing - Percut allergy skin tests - Percutaneous ...