Medicare Guideline posts
- Finding Medicare fee schedule - HOw to Guide
- LCD and procedure to diagnosis lookup - How to Gui...
- Medicare Fee Schedule, Payment and Reimbursement Benefit Guideline,
- Step by step Guide Medicare participation program
- Medicare Fee for Office Visit CPT Codes - CPT Code 99213, 99214, 99203
- Medicare revalidation FAQ
- Gastroenterology, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy Medicare CPT Code Fee
- Medicare claim address, phone numbers, payor id - revised list
Clinical Social Worker (CSW) Services
A. Clinical Social Worker Defined Section 1861(hh) of the Act defines a
“clinical social worker” as an individual who:
• Possesses a master’s or doctor’s degree in social work;
• Has performed at least two years of supervised clinical social work; and
• Is licensed or certified as a clinical social worker by the State in which the services are performed; or
• In the case of an individual in a State that does not provide for licensure or certification, has completed at least 2 years or 3,000 hours of post master’s degree supervised clinical social work practice under the supervision of a master’s level social worker in an appropriate setting such as a hospital, SNF, or clinic.
B. Clinical Social Worker Services Defined
Section 1861(hh)(2) of the Act defines “clinical social worker services” as those services that the CSW is legally authorized to perform under State law (or the State regulatory mechanism provided by State law) of the State in which such services are performed for the diagnosis and treatment of mental illnesses. Services furnished to an inpatient of a hospital or an inpatient of a SNF that the SNF is required to provide as a requirement for participation are not included. The services that are covered are those that are otherwise covered if furnished by a physician or as incident to a physician’s professional service.
C. Covered Services
Coverage is limited to the services a CSW is legally authorized to perform in accordance with State law (or State regulatory mechanism established by State law). The services of a CSW may be covered under Part B if they are:
• The type of services that are otherwise covered if furnished by a physician, or as incident to a physician’s service. (See §30 for a description of physicians’ services and §70 of Pub 100-1, the Medicare General Information, Eligibility, and Entitlement Manual, Chapter 5, for the definition of a physician.);
• Performed by a person who meets the definition of a CSW (See subsection A.); and
• Not otherwise excluded from coverage.
Carriers should become familiar with the State law or regulatory mechanism governing a CSW’s scope of practice in their service area.
D. Noncovered Services
Services of a CSW are not covered when furnished to inpatients of a hospital or to inpatients of a SNF if the services furnished in the SNF are those that the SNF is required to furnish as a condition of participation in Medicare. In addition, CSW services are not covered if they are otherwise excluded from Medicare coverage even though a CSW is authorized by State law to perform them. For example, the Medicare law excludes from coverage services that are not “reasonable and necessary for the diagnosis or treatment of an illness or injury or to improve the functioning of a malformed body member.”
Labels: Medicare basic concept
Top Medicare billing tips
Procedure code and description 93000 - Electrocardiogram, routine ECG with at least 12 leads; with interpretation and report -average fee...
This post has Most used J code list and we are constantly updating with example . If you are looking particular J code, use search button. ...
Flow Cytometry is a highly complex process by which blood, body fluids, bone marrow and tissue can be examined. It provides important immun...
CPT CODES and Description 81000 Urinalysis, by dip stick or tablet reagent for bilirubin, glucose, hemoglobin, ketones, leukocytes, nitr...
Procedure code and description 93015 (cardiovascular stress test using maximal or submaximal treadmill or bicycle exercise, continuous ele...
CPT CODE and Description 90785 - Interactive complexity (List separately in addition to the code for primary procedure) 90791 - Psychi...
procedure code and description 93922 LIMITED BILATERAL NONINVASIVE PHYSIOLOGIC STUDIES OF UPPER OR LOWER EXTREMITY ARTERIES, (EG, FOR LOW...
Procedure Codes and Definitions 36415 Collection of venous blood by venipuncture - Fee schedule amount $3.10 36416 Collection of capi...
Procedure code and description 95806 - Sleep study, unattended, simultaneous recording of, heart rate, oxygen saturation, respiratory air...
Procedure code and description 95004 Percut Tests w/ Extrac Immed React # Allergy testing - Percut allergy skin tests - Percutaneous ...