Handling Incomplete or Invalid Submissions
The following provides additional information detailing submissions that are considered incomplete or invalid.
The matrix in Chapter 25 specifies whether a data element is required, not required, or conditional. The status of these data elements will affect whether or not an incomplete or invalid submission (hardcopy or electronic) will be returned to provider (RTP). FIs should not deny claims and afford appeal rights for incomplete or invalid information as specified in this instruction.
The FIs should take the following actions upon receipt of incomplete or invalid submissions:
• If a required data element is not accurately entered in the appropriate field, RTP the submission to the provider of service.
• If a not required data element is accurately or inaccurately entered in the appropriate field, but the required data elements are entered accurately and appropriately, process the submission.
• If a conditional data element (a data element which is required when certain conditions exist) is not accurately entered in the appropriate field, RTP the submission to the provider of service.
• If a submission is RTP for incomplete or invalid information, at a minimum, notify the provider of service of the following information:
o Beneficiary’s Name; o Health Insurance Claim (HIC) Number; o Statement Covers Period (From-Through); o Patient Control Number (only if submitted); o Medical Record Number (only if submitted); and o Explanation of Errors.
NOTE: Some of the information listed above may in fact be the information missing from the submission. If this occurs, the FI includes what is available.
• If a submission is RTP for incomplete or invalid information, the FI shall not report the submission on the MSN to the beneficiary. The notice must only be given to the provider or supplier.
Medicare Guideline posts
- Finding Medicare fee schedule - HOw to Guide
- LCD and procedure to diagnosis lookup - How to Gui...
- Medicare Fee Schedule, Payment and Reimbursement Benefit Guideline,
- Step by step Guide Medicare participation program
- Medicare Fee for Office Visit CPT Codes - CPT Code 99213, 99214, 99203
- Medicare revalidation FAQ
- Gastroenterology, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy Medicare CPT Code Fee
- Medicare claim address, phone numbers, payor id - revised list
Top Medicare billing tips
Procedure code and description 93000 - Electrocardiogram, routine ECG with at least 12 leads; with interpretation and report -average fee...
CPT CODE and description 90460 - Immunization administration through 18 years of age via any route of administration, with counseling by ...
CPT CODE and Description 97001 - Physical therapy evaluation Average fee payment $70 - $80 97002 - Physical therapy re-evaluation Ave...
CPT CODE and Description 90785 - Interactive complexity (List separately in addition to the code for primary procedure) 90791 - Psychi...
This post has Most used J code list and we are constantly updating with example . If you are looking particular J code, use search button. ...
Flow Cytometry is a highly complex process by which blood, body fluids, bone marrow and tissue can be examined. It provides important immun...
Here is the big list of Medical terminology abbreviation @—at A & P—anatomy and physiology ab—abortion abd—abdominal ABG—arterial ...
Place of Service: A two-digit code used on health care professional claims to indicate the setting in which a service was provided. Place...
Complete Blood Count (CBC) Testing A complete blood count consists of measuring a blood specimen for levels of hemoglobin, hematocrit, red...
procedure code and description 93922 LIMITED BILATERAL NONINVASIVE PHYSIOLOGIC STUDIES OF UPPER OR LOWER EXTREMITY ARTERIES, (EG, FOR LOW...