Retroactive Disenrollment from a Medicare Advantage plan or Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) Provider Organization
There may be situations where a beneficiary is enrolled in an MA plan or in a PACE provider organization, and later becomes disenrolled from the MA plan or PACE provider organization. And, if the MA plan or the PACE provider organization recoups the money it paid the provider or supplier 6 months or more after the service was furnished, the provider or supplier may be granted an exception to have those claims filed with Medicare.
In order to qualify for this exception, the provider or supplier will need to provide the claims processing contractor with information that verifies:
• prior enrollment of the beneficiary in an MA plan or PACE provider organization;
• the beneficiary, the provider, or supplier was notified that the beneficiary is no longer enrolled in the MA plan or PACE provider organization;
• the effective date of the disenrollment; and,
• the MA plan or PACE provider organization recouped money from the provider or supplier for services furnished to a disenrolled beneficiary.
If the contractor determines that all of the conditions described above are satisfied, the contractor will notify the provider or supplier in writing that a filing extension will be allowed from the end of the 6th calendar month from the month in which the MA plan or PACE provider organization recouped its money from the provider or supplier.
The time for filing a claim will be extended if CMS or one of its contractors determines that a failure to meet the filing deadline is caused by all of the following conditions:
(a) At the time the service was furnished the beneficiary was enrolled in a Medicare Advantage (MA) plan or Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) provider organization.
(b) The beneficiary was subsequently disenrolled from the Medicare Advantage plan or Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) provider organization effective retroactively to or before the date of the furnished service.
(c) The Medicare Advantage plan or Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) provider organization recovered its payment for the furnished service from a provider or supplier 6 months or more after the service was furnished.
Medicare Guideline posts
- Finding Medicare fee schedule - HOw to Guide
- LCD and procedure to diagnosis lookup - How to Gui...
- Medicare Fee Schedule, Payment and Reimbursement Benefit Guideline,
- Step by step Guide Medicare participation program
- Medicare Fee for Office Visit CPT Codes - CPT Code 99213, 99214, 99203
- Medicare revalidation FAQ
- Gastroenterology, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy Medicare CPT Code Fee
- Medicare claim address, phone numbers, payor id - revised list
Top Medicare billing tips
URIBEL- methenamine, sodium phosphate, monobasic, monohydrate, phenyls alicylate, methylene blue, and hyoscyamine sulfate capsule Uribel i...
procedure code and description 71250 - Ct thorax w/o dye - average fee payment - $180 - $190 71275 CTA chest (noncoronary) 71260 CT ...
Procedure code and description 93000 - Electrocardiogram, routine ECG with at least 12 leads; with interpretation and report -average fee...
Billing J code examples cpt code and description J0702 - Injection, betamethasone acetate 3mg and betamethasone sodium phosphate 3mg ...
Procedure Codes and Definitions 36415 Collection of venous blood by venipuncture - Fee schedule amount $3.10 36416 Collection of capi...
Procedure code and description 93015 (cardiovascular stress test using maximal or submaximal treadmill or bicycle exercise, continuous ele...
Coverage Indications, Limitations, and/or Medical Necessity This LCD describes conditions under which the coverage of nail avulsion/ex...
Procedure code and description 95004 Percut Tests w/ Extrac Immed React # Allergy testing - Percut allergy skin tests - Percutaneous ...
PR 1 Deductible Amount PR 2 Coinsurance Amount PR 3 Co-payment Amount OA 4 The procedure code is inconsistent with the modifier used ...
CPT CODES and Description 81000 Urinalysis, by dip stick or tablet reagent for bilirubin, glucose, hemoglobin, ketones, leukocytes, nitr...