Medicare Guideline posts
- Finding Medicare fee schedule - HOw to Guide
- LCD and procedure to diagnosis lookup - How to Gui...
- Medicare Fee Schedule, Payment and Reimbursement Benefit Guideline,
- Step by step Guide Medicare participation program
- Medicare Fee for Office Visit CPT Codes - CPT Code 99213, 99214, 99203
- Medicare revalidation FAQ
- Gastroenterology, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy Medicare CPT Code Fee
- Medicare claim address, phone numbers, payor id - revised list
Additional Services covered during wellness visit
Medicare covers a one-time only Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Screening for at-risk members when a referral for the screening is received as a result of the wellness exam. In 2014, this service is subject to member cost-sharing in most plans.
Medicare covers a one-time only Electrocardiogram (EKG) Screening for Medicare members. In 2014, this service is subject to member cost-sharing in most plans.
Any clinical laboratory tests or other diagnostic services that CMS recognizes and defines as medically necessary (as opposed to preventive) performed at the time of the wellness visit may be subject to a copayment or coinsurance. Refer to the CMS Policy that defines these guidelines, e.g., refer to the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule to determine if a service is covered by Medicare. A Status Indicator of ‘N’ reflects non-coverage. Therefore, the member is required to sign the Advanced Notice of Non Coverage (ANN) form prior to the service being provided by a contracting lab. Other reference sources in addition to Medicare Physician Fee Schedule include: National Coverage Determinations, Local Coverage Determinations, and NCCI Policy.
In general, screening lab work is not covered by Medicare (with a few exceptions as outlined in the list of covered preventive services below) and therefore not covered by our plan.
Common Preventive Services and Screenings
Physicians and other health care professionals may also provide and bill separately for screenings and other preventive services. All Medicare Advantage plans insured by UnitedHealthcare cover the following Medicare-covered preventive services at the same frequency as covered by original Medicare, except where otherwise noted, for a $0 copayment:
• Alcohol misuse screening and counseling
• Hepatitis B immunization
• Bone mass measurement HIV screening
• Breast cancer screening (mammograms)
• Cardiovascular screening
• Intensive behavioral therapy to reduce cardiovascular disease risk
• Cervical and vaginal cancer screening (Pap test and pelvic exam)2
• Medical nutrition therapy services
• Obesity screening and counseling1
• Colorectal cancer screening3 Pneumococcal shot
• Depression screening Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test4
• Diabetes screening
• Flu shot
• Glaucoma tests (for those at high risk)
• Tobacco use cessation counseling
• Sexually transmitted infections screening and counseling
1 In accordance with Medicare guidelines, covered only in the primary care setting.
2 In 2014, coverage periodicity follows Medicare guidelines: covered annually for those at high risk and every two years for all other women.
3 For all Medicare Advantage plans insured by UnitedHealthcare, a colonoscopy that begins as a Medicarecovered screening service is subject to the $0 screening cost-share regardless of whether a polyp is found and/or removed during the procedure.
4 A DRE is subject to cost-sharing.
Top Medicare billing tips
Procedure code and description 93000 - Electrocardiogram, routine ECG with at least 12 leads; with interpretation and report -average fee...
Billing J code examples cpt code and description J0702 - Injection, betamethasone acetate 3mg and betamethasone sodium phosphate 3mg ...
PR 1 Deductible Amount PR 2 Coinsurance Amount PR 3 Co-payment Amount OA 4 The procedure code is inconsistent with the modifier used ...
Coverage Indications, Limitations, and/or Medical Necessity This LCD describes conditions under which the coverage of nail avulsion/ex...
Procedure code and description 93224 - External electrocardiographic recording up to 48 hours by continuous rhythm recording and storage;...
Procedure code and description 95004 Percut Tests w/ Extrac Immed React # Allergy testing - Percut allergy skin tests - Percutaneous ...
Drugs & Biologicals: Maximum Allowed Units (MAUs) - Palmetto GBA Medicare cpt code and description J1040 - Injection, methylpredniso...
All Service Codes for Immunization/Vaccine 86615 (CPT) - Antibody; Bordetella 86619 (CPT) - Antibody; Borrelia (relapsing fever) 8...
Procedure code and description 93015 (cardiovascular stress test using maximal or submaximal treadmill or bicycle exercise, continuous ele...
Procedure Code Description 70370 Radiologic examination; pharynx or larynx, including fluoroscopy and/or magnification technique 70...