Some services or procedures performed by providers might not have specific Current Procedure Codes (CPT) or HCPCS codes. When submitting claims for these services or procedures that are not otherwise specified, unlisted codes are designated. Unlisted codes provide the means of reporting and tracking services and procedures until a more specific code is established.
According to the Current Procedural Terminology Instructions for use of the CPT Codebook, select the name of the procedure or service that accurately identifies the service performed. Do not select a CPT code that merely approximates the service provided. If no such specific code exists, then report the service using the appropriate unlisted procedure or service code. Any service or procedure must be adequately documented in the medical record.
Supporting Documentation Requirements
Because unlisted and unspecified procedure codes do not describe a specific procedure or service, it is necessary to submit supporting documentation when filing a claim. Pertinent information should include:
• A clear description of the nature, extent, and need for the procedure or service.
• Whether the procedure was performed independent from other services provided, or if it was performed at the same surgical site or through the same surgical opening.
• Any extenuating circumstances which may have complicated the service or procedure.
• Time, effort, and equipment necessary to provide the service.
• The number of times the service was provided.
When submitting supporting documentation, designate the portion of the report that identifies the test or procedure associated with the unlisted procedure code. Required information must be legible and clearly marked.
Provider Billing Guidelines and Documentation
• Claims submitted with unlisted procedure codes and without supporting documentation will be denied.
• Please submit paper claims for unlisted procedure codes. Electronic claims for unlisted procedure codes may be denied, as attachments are not accepted electronically at this time.
• Claims submitted with an unlisted procedure code will be denied if determined that a more appropriate procedure or service code that most closely approximates the service performed is available.
• No additional reimbursement is provided for special techniques/equipment submitted with an unlisted procedure code.
• Unlisted procedure codes appended with a modifier may be denied. (Exception: Unlisted codes for DME, orthotics and prosthetics require appropriate NU, RR or MS modifier.)
• When performing two or more procedures that require the use of the same unlisted CPT code, the unlisted code should only be reported once to identify the services provided (excludes unlisted HCPCS codes; for example, DME/ unlisted drugs).
Medical Record Documentation and Physician Queries
Harvard Pilgrim will not accept retrospectively amended medical records or physician queries beyond 30 days from the service date. Harvard Pilgrim considers medical record documentation and/or physician queries upon review as the official record to support services provided for the basis of coverage or reimbursement determination. Clinical documentation or physician queries amended over 30 days from the service will not be accepted to defend reimbursement, increase reimbursement, or consideration of a previously denied claim.
Medicare Guideline posts
- Finding Medicare fee schedule - HOw to Guide
- LCD and procedure to diagnosis lookup - How to Gui...
- Medicare Fee Schedule, Payment and Reimbursement Benefit Guideline,
- Step by step Guide Medicare participation program
- Medicare Fee for Office Visit CPT Codes - CPT Code 99213, 99214, 99203
- Medicare revalidation FAQ
- Gastroenterology, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy Medicare CPT Code Fee
- Medicare claim address, phone numbers, payor id - revised list
Top Medicare billing tips
Procedure code and description 93000 - Electrocardiogram, routine ECG with at least 12 leads; with interpretation and report -average fee...
CPT CODE and description 90460 - Immunization administration through 18 years of age via any route of administration, with counseling by ...
CPT CODE and Description 97001 - Physical therapy evaluation Average fee payment $70 - $80 97002 - Physical therapy re-evaluation Ave...
Flow Cytometry is a highly complex process by which blood, body fluids, bone marrow and tissue can be examined. It provides important immun...
CPT CODE and Description 90785 - Interactive complexity (List separately in addition to the code for primary procedure) 90791 - Psychi...
This post has Most used J code list and we are constantly updating with example . If you are looking particular J code, use search button. ...
Here is the big list of Medical terminology abbreviation @—at A & P—anatomy and physiology ab—abortion abd—abdominal ABG—arterial ...
Place of Service: A two-digit code used on health care professional claims to indicate the setting in which a service was provided. Place...
Complete Blood Count (CBC) Testing A complete blood count consists of measuring a blood specimen for levels of hemoglobin, hematocrit, red...
procedure code and description 93922 LIMITED BILATERAL NONINVASIVE PHYSIOLOGIC STUDIES OF UPPER OR LOWER EXTREMITY ARTERIES, (EG, FOR LOW...