Medicare Guideline posts
- Finding Medicare fee schedule - HOw to Guide
- LCD and procedure to diagnosis lookup - How to Gui...
- Medicare Fee Schedule, Payment and Reimbursement Benefit Guideline,
- Step by step Guide Medicare participation program
- Medicare Fee for Office Visit CPT Codes - CPT Code 99213, 99214, 99203
- Medicare revalidation FAQ
- Gastroenterology, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy Medicare CPT Code Fee
- Medicare claim address, phone numbers, payor id - revised list
Chronic Illness and Critical Care: WITH example
Examples of patients whose medical condition may not warrant critical care services:
1. Daily management of a patient on chronic ventilator therapy does not meet the criteria for critical care unless the critical care is separately identifiable from the chronic long term management of the ventilator dependence.
2. Management of dialysis or care related to dialysis for a patient receiving ESRD hemodialysis does not meet the criteria for critical care unless the critical care is separately identifiable from the chronic long term management of the dialysis dependence (refer to Chapter 8, §160.4). When a separately identifiable condition (e.g., management of seizures or pericardial tamponade related to renal failure) is being managed, it may be billed as critical care if critical care requirements are met. Modifier –25 should be appended to the critical care code when applicable in this situation.
Examples of patients whose medical condition may warrant critical care services:
1. An 81 year old male patient is admitted to the intensive care unit following abdominal aortic aneurysm resection. Two days after surgery he requires fluids and pressors to maintain adequate perfusion and arterial pressures. He remains ventilator dependent.
2. A 67 year old female patient is 3 days status post mitral valve repair. She develops petechiae, hypotension and hypoxia requiring respiratory and circulatory support.
3. A 70 year old admitted for right lower lobe pneumococcal pneumonia with a history of COPD becomes hypoxic and hypotensive 2 days after admission.
4. A 68 year old admitted for an acute anterior wall myocardial infarction continues to have symptomatic ventricular tachycardia that is marginally responsive to antiarrhythmic therapy.
Examples of patients who may not satisfy Medicare medical necessity criteria, or do not meet critical care criteria or who do not have a critical care illness or injury and therefore not eligible for critical care payment:
1. Patients admitted to a critical care unit because no other hospital beds were available;
2. Patients admitted to a critical care unit for close nursing observation and/or frequent monitoring of vital signs (e.g., drug toxicity or overdose); and
3. Patients admitted to a critical care unit because hospital rules require certain treatments (e.g., insulin infusions) to be administered in the critical care unit.
Providing medical care to a critically ill patient should not be automatically deemed to be a critical care service for the sole reason that the patient is critically ill or injured. While more than one physician may provide critical care services to a patient during the critical care episode of an illness or injury each physician must be managing one or more critical illness(es) or injury(ies) in whole or in part.
EXAMPLE: A dermatologist evaluates and treats a rash on an ICU patient who is maintained on a ventilator and nitroglycerine infusion that are being managed by an intensivist. The dermatologist should not report a service for critical care.
Top Medicare billing tips
Procedure code and description 93000 - Electrocardiogram, routine ECG with at least 12 leads; with interpretation and report -average fee...
Billing J code examples cpt code and description J0702 - Injection, betamethasone acetate 3mg and betamethasone sodium phosphate 3mg ...
PR 1 Deductible Amount PR 2 Coinsurance Amount PR 3 Co-payment Amount OA 4 The procedure code is inconsistent with the modifier used ...
Coverage Indications, Limitations, and/or Medical Necessity This LCD describes conditions under which the coverage of nail avulsion/ex...
Procedure code and description 93224 - External electrocardiographic recording up to 48 hours by continuous rhythm recording and storage;...
Procedure code and description 95004 Percut Tests w/ Extrac Immed React # Allergy testing - Percut allergy skin tests - Percutaneous ...
Drugs & Biologicals: Maximum Allowed Units (MAUs) - Palmetto GBA Medicare cpt code and description J1040 - Injection, methylpredniso...
All Service Codes for Immunization/Vaccine 86615 (CPT) - Antibody; Bordetella 86619 (CPT) - Antibody; Borrelia (relapsing fever) 8...
Procedure code and description 93015 (cardiovascular stress test using maximal or submaximal treadmill or bicycle exercise, continuous ele...
Procedure Code Description 70370 Radiologic examination; pharynx or larynx, including fluoroscopy and/or magnification technique 70...